Information on family names

The area, its locals past and present, memories, stories etc

Postby gerfin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:43 am

Hey Farmboy,
being from the farm and all just wondering if you remember the ellards or the brocks form St. particks crescent?
gerfin

Postby spudseamus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:27 am

Mrs Spud says she needs more info coz those names dont ring a bell
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby farmboy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:17 pm

gerfin wrote:Hey Farmboy,
being from the farm and all just wondering if you remember the ellards or the brocks form St. particks crescent?

Yes indeed gerfin, I know a chap although not very well called Ellard. I think he,s a postman. I remember a Paddy Brock from the farm, a big stocky fella, I havent seen him for many years. I used frequent Dave Fisher,s bookies beside Gunnings shop, which used be Kavanaghs and I think before that Byrnes? Anyway these two lovely old dears used be there most afternoons having their little flutter. Not sure if one of them was Mrs Brock, but the other lady was Mrs Finn I think. One of them must have had very poor vision cos she wore glasses one lens of which was more like a small telescope! :D Even at that she had to go right up to the paper to read the form. I think Dave Fisher has a gift or pen shop in D.L. shopping centre now, a Liverpudlian and a nice fella. He used to live right on the roundabout in the Farm, the house right on the edge of Highthorn Park from which I was raised.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:25 pm

The chap in the above post, Dave, had a beautiful tall blonde daughter. There was a family of about 6 brothers lived next door to them and when the daughter went out to sunbathe in the "privacy" of her back garden, there was fisticuffs next door to grab the best vantage point in the back bedroom! Boys will be boys! :D
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Snowhite » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:46 pm

gerfin wrote:Hey Farmboy,

Hiya Gerfin, One of the Ellard lads is a good friend of my hubby's, and I see Ann everyday, I went to school with Maureen ;-) D Brock was married to my cousin, and one of my friends went out with C Brock way back when the Hop was on in the Noggin :D
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby chris » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 pm

Ref the Brock and Ellard Families, there were two familes of Brocks in St Patrick's Crescent. One family lived in No 9 (Molly Brock) and the other in No 13 (Peggy and Jim) The Ellard family lived on the other side of the road, not sure of the house no. They lived next door to the Walsh family.
chris

Postby Snowhite » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:30 am

Hiya Chris, Welcome to the site/madhouse :mrgreen: I know the Ellards and the Brocks, I only knew Dennis & Charlie I think there were two sisters aswell not sure of their names though or the parents. :-|
Snowhite

Postby enviro500 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:11 am

Chris,
Was Maura Owens (nee Hill) sister married to the Ellard chap, about early 1960s.

Maura Owens husband was Kevin who drove the 46A & 58 buses for years. The kids in the Owens were Emily, Tommy, Tony and John. I lived almost next door to them in St Pats Cr.
Enviro400
enviro500

Postby chris » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi Enviro500

I think Mrs Ellard was Maura Owens sister. Her name was Patsy and Mr Ellard's name was Pat.

Snowhite. Ref Denis and Charlie Brock. There are 3 girls and 4 boys in the family, apart from me they all live in Shankhill/Ballybrack area. I left in 1970.
chris

Postby enviro500 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi Chris,
Dead right, Patsy Ellard, I remember well and her hubby. Kids were younger than I.
Are you a Brock, I am sure one of the Brock girls posted on here about a year ago...she lives in Northamptonshire maybe Corby ?

I knocked around with Paddy Cahill. 1 St Patricks then and I met him in the Club in Dalkey about three years ago. I was a great to see him after 40 years.
Remember Maureen ORielly, I remember the day they house burnt down and it was a frightening experience and the first time I ever saw a Fire Appliance in action.. It was one of the old Leyland types where there was no roof and the men sat along the sides.. Funnily enough Maureen married Henry Hobbs and guess what...he became a Firefighter in Dun Laoghaire.. I woner how those people are now.. such memories. David Hobbs and myself were friends as they lived opposite the Owens family.
Maybe Maureen wasn't taking any chances again !!!!
enviro500

Postby chris » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Yes I did post on the other site about a year ago. I am a Brock and still live in Corby.
chris

Postby enviro500 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi Chris
, Remember me
I ysed to called "Dun Laoghaire" on the old site .....
How are you and great to see you are back.. We lost contact about a year since.

Enviro500
enviro500

Postby Snowhite » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:11 am

chris wrote:Snowhite. Ref Denis and Charlie Brock. There are 3 girls and 4 boys in the family, apart from me they all live in Shankhill/Ballybrack area. I left in 1970.

Small world indeed, Denis was married to my cousin Marie (RIP)
Snowhite

Postby gerfin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi chris,

I'm an Ellard and my Aunt and Uncle were Pat and Patsy from St. Patricks Crescent. They were an amazing family - there was about 13 of them and my aunt Rhoda all living in the house!!
gerfin

Postby jackw » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:40 pm

hi chris when i was over on holidays in the 60s got friendly with a family from oliver plunkett ave i think No 87 hughes . do they still stay in same area. jackw
jackw

Postby Opal » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:43 pm

Welcome jackw :mrgreen:
Opal

Postby Snowhite » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:00 am

jackw wrote:hi chris when i was over on holidays in the 60s got friendly with a family from oliver plunkett ave i think No 87 hughes . do they still stay in same area. jackw

Hiya Jackw, glad you decided to join in ;-) a bit more life than the other site eh!.Welcome aboard. :D
Well I remember the Hughes from the cresent Noel is a Taxi driver here now but I havent seen the girls for a long long time, I'm sure Flatlad would remember them aswell.

Gerfin, My hubby plays snooker everyweek with Paul Ellard.....this old world is getting smaller by the day :shock:
Snowhite

Postby grammer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:11 am

[font=Courier New]WELCOME JACKW[/font]
grammer

Monkstown Farm

Postby Chiropodist » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Does anyone know the Merrigan family from the Crescent or the Brown family from Oliver Plunket Ave.
Chiropodist

Postby Chiropodist » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:54 pm

I may have asked this before but, did anyone know a family named O Neill who lived on the Farm. I courted one of the girls named Agnes for a long time before leaving Ireland. Her father trained horses. The farm was being constructed at that time.
Chiropodist

Postby Holly » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:09 pm

I remember both the Ellards and the Brocks. I lived in 1 St Patrick's Crescent :)
Holly

Postby spudseamus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:50 am

and the Hammonds at 112 ?
spudseamus

Postby Chiropodist » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Did you know any of the Merrigan family at no 26, formely of Eden Villas Holly. Fathers name was Sykey.
Chiropodist

Postby grammer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:40 am

:-| :-|
grammer

Re: Information on family names

Postby Holly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 am

Chiropodist wrote:Did you know any of the Merrigan family at no 26, formely of Eden Villas Holly. Fathers name was Sykey.

Sorry - no. My dad probably did
Holly

Next

Return to MONKSTOWN / MONKSTOWN FARM