Ghostly singer of monkstown

The area, its locals past and present, memories, stories etc

Ghostly singer of monkstown

Postby Holla » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:57 am

The year was 1977 ther was a full moon and a ghostly voice of a man could be heard singing renditions of Danny boy and Old man river among the houses of Rory o Connor park on the abbey road, who was this phantom singer locals believed it was noneother than sir valentine grace who owened a house in the area and had died some thirty years earlier but before his death had left orders that none of the trees on the land were to be harmed,but now one of the large trees in the estate had been cut down and people said sir valentine was awakened.truth be known this was a local guy on his way home from bakers or the rose park hotel, or beaches, or Hattons hotel whatever it was called in 1977 after a good few beers, this story made the national papers believe it or not .it was said sir valentine often left monaghans of sallynoggin( the old thatch bar to you and me)well nourished hop into his horse and trap and off the horse went home on automatic pilot and himself snoozing away in the trap(no kebab in those days)anyone remember this ghostly tale.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Ghostly singer of monkstown

Postby Strum » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Never heard of it Holla. Great story though. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby spudseamus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:48 am

me neither !! :shock:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Micheál » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:02 am

Looks like the Ghost was a descendant of my old friends from Boley House that used to be sited near the Filling Station.

Boley, CO. Dublin.— Cr. 1795.
Only son of Sir Percy Raymond Grace, 4th Bart., by
Margaret, 4th dau. of the late Valentine O'Brien
O'Connor, Esq., D.L., of Rockfield, co. Dublin ; h.
1877; s. 1903 ; m. 1900 Mildred, dau. of Major John
Eustace Jameson, of Taney House, Duudrum, co.
Dublin. Sir Valentine Grace, who was educated at
Trinity Hall, Cambridge, is a D.L. for Queen's Co.
(High Sheriff 1907), a Magistrate for co. Dublin, and
an Hon. Lieut, in the Army ; late Capt. 4th Batt.
Leinster Kegt. — Boley, Monkstown, Dublin ; 23,
Cromioell Road, Hove, Sussex ; Wellington Club, s.w. ;
Union Club, Brighton; R. St. George Yacht Club,

Valentine the younger seems to have been a bit of an Actor in the 1930s in the Abbey & in Belfast as in,
On 09/09/1929 in the Belfast Empire "General John Regan" by George Birmingham with Sir Valentine Grace

Kingstown.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:07 am

And it seems he made it to the movies - though not in a singing role

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aylwin

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:14 am

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:26 am

And finally . . .(gleaned from the web)

The Irish Church Missionaries Ragged School opened in the run down Weaver's Hall in the Combe on 24th April 1857 The new Coombe Ragged School, at the corner of Newmarket Street and the Coombe, opened on Wednesday 11th February. The opening ceremony was performed by the founder of the ICM The Rev. Alexander Dallas.
Pupils from the Catholic Ragged School moved from Park Street West to St Brigid's National School
The Coombe Ragged School closed. The children still attending the school were removed to Boley,
a large property in Monkstown. Boley had at one time been the home of Sir Valentine Grace.

Source: Around the Banks of Pimlico. Máirín Johnston
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:55 am

Interesting,
The Rev Dallas may have been a great great grand of a late old friend named Dallas McCullough, from around Glenageary and about my age . An ex Kingstown Grammar lad and genuine nice guy...Passed away relatively recently, His Mum's (Isolde) mum was a Dallas surname (Scottish).

A rare name in Dun Loaghaire and Dalla's mother was involved with the League of Health in the 1940s right through...
There was a story which my Dad alleges and him never a Ghost believer of seeing a singing man on the Old Road just before the Golf Links before they widened it on the first occasion 1960s Just before the links gate was a house on the left behind a wall with an entrance gate. My my DaD swore he seen and heard the old man......I think that bit of old roadway was still there until years almost opposite the southside links
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Holla » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:50 am

Great info there Micheal but......what i would like to know is Q 1 = was it the rose park hotel , Beeches or Hattons hotel in 1977 not ziggys anyway
Q2 = who was the local guy doing all the singing must have been drinking celabration or bottles of carlsberg special brew or even babysham :D
Holla

Postby Micheál » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:03 am

Ha Ha!
My recollection was that it was originally the Rose Park - then it got tarted up and re-titled the Beeches - in the then 'style' of the Belgard Inn - a series of opulent rooms made up to look a bit like Versailles - and prices to match.

Though I heard the name, I don't recall where Hattons fitted in. Maybe that was a leter incarceration. All I know is it eventually drifted into becoming a nightclub of poor repute (or was this just an age thing) and finally closed down in the aftermath of a viscous incident when a gang from out of town came on the scene and murderered a local lad.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 am

Great post folks. Long time since I heard ValentineGrace's name being mentioned and the Boley Road, not to mention The Rose Park,had many a good night in there. :D
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Yeah great posts folks. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:33 pm

great post there holla

it was said sir valentine often left monaghans of sallynoggin( the old thatch bar to you and me)well nourished hop into his horse and trap and off the horse went home on automatic pilot and himself snoozing away in the trap(no kebab in those days)anyone remember this ghostly tale.

I remember hearing that kind of story years ago -but a different persons name.
I must check it out -cos the name of the person that I heard about is on the tip of my tongue
but I will check it out first :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Holla » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:39 am

grammer wrote:great post there hola
I remember hearing that kind of story years ago -but a different persons name.
I must check it out -cos the name of the person that I heard about is on the tip of my tongue
but I will check it out first :D :D

yeah grammer a few tales of the horse on automatic pilot went around one local cabbie was said to have one of these loyal horses :)
Holla

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:35 am

Yeh holla I think you know who I mean :D :D :D :D :D
but one has to make sure :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Return to MONKSTOWN / MONKSTOWN FARM