Monkstown Dairies

The area, its locals past and present, memories, stories etc

Postby gospecial » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:18 pm

My own Father delivered milk for Suttons, TEK and then Premier in Monkstown. From an early age myself and my brothers would be out there helping him in the mornings. I followed in his footsteps and was an agent for Premier till 1996. Just wondering would anyone have any photos of the dairy in Monkstown. I know it would bring back great memories.
gospecial
Stellar Member

Re: Monkstown Dairies

Postby Rubber » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Yeah my Da worked for the Dairies as well and played for TEK. Would love to see some old photos of the place as well. Remember doing the milk with him one morning on one of the old floats and thinking i was great and tried to jump off and ended up nearly breaking my leg! LOL
Rubber

Postby Holla » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:05 pm

I have a photo of suttons staff around 1942,all men in the yard my father worked there for a short spell only thing is I have no idea how to post it :?:
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Holla wrote:I have a photo of suttons staff around 1942,all men in the yard my father worked there for a short spell only thing is I have no idea how to post it :?:

Check this out Holla. Any probs just Holler! :D

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=580
Strum
Administrator

Postby lbyrne » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:26 pm

I used to work in Primetime Newsagents near the Dairies, from 1990 till 1992 at weekends and school holidays. Can't remember if the dairies were still operational at that time. There are houses/apartments on the site now aren't there?
lbyrne

Location: Living in Balbriggan for 5 years, but from Glasthule

Postby Strum » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:21 pm

lbyrne wrote:There are houses/apartments on the site now aren't there?

There are but the Shop is still there on the Corner. Well it was the last time I passed there. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby lbyrne » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Strum wrote:
lbyrne wrote:There are houses/apartments on the site now aren't there?

There are but the Shop is still there on the Corner. Well it was the last time I passed there. :D

That's right - the shop's still there but I think it might be called something else and from what I could see driving past I think they've moved the shop counter / till position. I enjoyed working there until it was robbed twice. First time I was hit over the head with a baseball bat (not knocked unconscious but boy was it sore!), and second time a guy came in with a jagged Coke can. I actually nearly laughed at that guy cos he seemed so amateur compared to the two lads who came in with the baseball bat and the big butcher's knife. Wasn't laughing when he ran into the stockroom and took my handbag with my wages though! Left after that - wasn't worth the hassle. Afterwards I was told that guys came in with a gun - now I think I would have fainted with the shock of that so I was glad I'd left.
lbyrne

Location: Living in Balbriggan for 5 years, but from Glasthule

Re:

Postby joey dunlop » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 pm

gospecial wrote:My own Father delivered milk for Suttons, TEK and then Premier in Monkstown. From an early age myself and my brothers would be out there helping him in the mornings. I followed in his footsteps and was an agent for Premier till 1996. Just wondering would anyone have any photos of the dairy in Monkstown. I know it would bring back great memories.

I worked as a roundsman in dublin daires in mountown i was the youngest milkman then as i was only 19years old.
Paddy donevan and john sheean now undertakers started off as milkman in mountown i must ask them about old photos
they might have.
joey dunlop

Postby gospecial » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks Joey! That would be great!
gospecial
Stellar Member

Postby Bicycle Bill » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi
I bought an old TEK milk bottle in a boot sale in wicklow.
I gave it to Mick McGovern in the historical society, he lives near the old TEK works .
Bicycle Bill

Postby grammer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:17 pm

BB wrote
Hi
I bought an old TEK milk bottle in a boot sale in wicklow.
I gave it to Mick McGovern in the historical society, he lives near the old TEK works .

I hope Mick gives it back
cos we were always told to return our empties :D :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Grammer,

I'll Ring George Sutton and Dick Wilkie and warn them, "ONE OF OUR BOTTLES IS MISSING"............

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby spudseamus » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:46 am

Enviro500 wrote:Grammer,

I'll Ring George Sutton and Dick Wilkie and warn them, "ONE OF OUR BOTTLES IS MISSING"............

Enviro500

:shock: :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :titter:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby MickR » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:43 am

I remember our milk been delivered in the 60s by a guy called Pawsy on a horse and cart out of TEK. I remember the horse always seemed to shit outside our house on a Saturday and my father would be straight out with the shovel to put it on the roses. I used to wonder where he did it when I was at school and Dad at work because there was no evidence of it in the afternoon when I got home from school. All the kids used to get a jaunt on the cart those days, and it was never the same when the milk float arrived, but any delivery was inevitably a break in the norm for the kids. The coal man, and the bread man always provided a bit of craic. Picking at the fresh turnover when the bread man wasn't looking, Heaven.
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
MickR

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:32 pm

I think his name would have been Pawsy Devlin, I remember him well, good caddie and golfer. Yer right about the hot turnovers, heaven. :D
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby grammer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:27 am

Any one want to buy a unique and now rare pair of Millanium( :D :D :roll: :roll: ) Milk bottles
they are in excellent condition -have been washed a couple of times --
this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase something (the pair that is)that can only increase in value as time goes by-
soon your grandchildren or their great grandchilden will sit in wonder and amazement at this beautiful pair (milk bottles that is) and ask to hear once again the story of what they were and what they were used for -
-----they will be wide eyed with amazement at hearing that their ancestors filled them with milk
what the 'uck was that they will say with their little mouths open-- :?: :?:
when they hear about cows in fields just chomping away on green grass all day to make milk -
jxxxxxxxh the wont be able to cope with that kind of info :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
or that bad people used those wonderful bottles to store chemicals or other items like nails -screws -paint brushes-
or that the were left out side homes overnight in all kinds of weather :shock:

so once again I remind you folks this unique once in a life time pair -have never been abused or mistreated in anyway

I will not split them --sorry ----
so dont delay -
place your bid today
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:22 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
Looks like good news -
I have a buyer --
I wonder how much it would cost to post them to Nigeria????????
It's some guy who wants to give them to his daughter as a 21St. birthday present .
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Can anyone confirm the precise times of the TEK Hooter? I recall they always seemed to regulate my journeys to school. Am I correct in remembering one went off at 13:50?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Micheal,

SUTTONS HORN

If my menry is right I think 9a.m, 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. ? Needs verification though

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:24 am

Enviro500 wrote:Micheal,

SUTTONS HORN

If my menry is right I think 9a.m, 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. ? Needs verification though

Enviro

That's my recollection also.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby grammer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Ater much reflection and stcracting of head -I agree. :D :D :D
think there was a race between the Angelus bell and suttons horn to start first :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
at 6pm.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby MickR » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:12 am

Iagree 9 1 6 was the hooter.Grammer? WTF? Bottles? I have enough for one only? How about half a pound of hicks sausages as a enhancement? Deal?
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
MickR

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:24 am

I have Barry's Tea caddy (Tinplate) 1988 with Jackie Charlton on it, Swap for the Hicks Gruel !!!!!

"Whoa lad, Wur will teek woor doon the toon fur a pint like "

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Bicycle Bill » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Ah well enviro
you freelance delivery men had no loyality you would take any bodys bottles. Mount street was full of TEK, Lycan and Dublin Dairies bottles. We in Hughes Brothers had to be out before you. But Liam was a nice man..BB
Bicycle Bill

Return to MONKSTOWN / MONKSTOWN FARM