T. E. K. Football

The area, its locals past and present, memories, stories etc

Re: T. E. K. Football

Postby Whelo92 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi all,

Sorry to bring up an old post but my name is Sarah Whelan, Grand-Daughter of the late Richie Whelan and i am trying very hard to find pictures and "write-ups" on my Grandad and even any stories people may have.

He died in 1990 and i was born in 1992 so i am sad not to have known him as he was meant to be a lovey gentleman with the same passion as myself, football.
I understand he played for St. Josephs Glasthule and T.E.K United as well as the Irish Juniors and even Manchester City in 1957/1958?

I myself have represented Ireland at junior level as a goalkeeper and i am now putting together some frames of his and my own jerseys and caps for my mothers birthday but i am finding it hard to locate more pictures, newspaper clippings etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated as i would love to have all of his football history in one piece.

Regards,
Sarah Whelan
Whelo92

Postby Strum » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi Sarah and Rubber. Welcome to the site. Hope you get some info from the other members here. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi Sarah,

You have come to the right place. Big welcome hellllo I am sure some of the members here will have something.
Look at Harjoe's site and book ...soccer in the Boro.....the best...

http://www.soccerintheboro.com/teams-a-to-z.php

Never worry about bringing up an old post...we forget how much great info is on the site.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Some lovely pictures here in Harjoe's book..... R. Whelan on both pages..

http://www.soccerintheboro.com/st-josephs-glasthule.php
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:01 pm

Well done Rocker, yer a star! ;) :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Whelo92 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Brilliant! Great pictures and definitely never been seen by my mother. She'll be delighted!

Thanks a million wuu
Whelo92

Postby Rocker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Keep checking back here Sarah...the footballers haven't been in yet. There are still copies of that book Soccer in the Boro available...Harjoe is giving proceeds to the Hospice....send an e mail and he will advise where available.

We need some young soccer players to keep these lads on their game so....please post what is happening nowadays.

That is a lovely thought for a birthday present for your mother.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi Sarah,

Remember seen your Grandad playing for TEK. He was a very quick winger and one of the best players TEK ever had. You come from good stock girl. hellllo
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Harjoe » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:52 pm

Welcome to the site Sarah I had the pleasure of knowing your grand dad Richie and he was a great player , in fact i went to see him in the hospital before he died and showed him the proof rushes of my book before it was printed .
If you send my your address to dodd.joseph@gmail.com I will deliver it to you
Last edited by Harjoe on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Harjoe wrote: I will deliver it to you

Wow what a helpful site this is. Nice one Joe. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:25 pm

I see Keeper's in maybe he can add more.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Whelo92 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 am

Hi everyone,

I actually went and purchased the book the moment i saw the website.
My mother has been going on about it ever since Grandad was in hospital and she could never track it down but with good aul internet everything is possible.
I typed it into google and Naughtons Book Shop had it in stock and i received it this morning, if i had seen your reply sooner Joe i would of went direct to yourself.
Thank you so much for the piece on Granda, it makes me proud reading it and no doubt when i show my Mam she will have a few tears shed.
As she has now lost her sister Deborah (2004) and mother Rosaleen (2008), it is nice to bring back some good memories for her when they were all there together.

I've always wondered where my football skills came from as it certainly wasn't my fathers side :D but who knew someone that you never got a chance to meet would affect your life as much as he has.
My brother James also had a spell at Burnley and numerous Irish trials but my other brother Richie never continued with football past youth which was a pity as it would of been nice to see another Richie Whelan wearing the Irish jersey.

I find it funny though, we were brought up as die-hard United fans by Grandad and he goes and scores a hatrick against them for City :D

Regards,
Sarah Whelan
Whelo92

Postby Rocker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Morning sarah,

Great news. Pity I rushed in to tell you about Harjoes book but, I am impetious. I was blown away by his kindness in offering to bring a copy of the book to you......shows the great esteem your Grand Da was held in by the great Borough players.

Your Mum will be thrilled by the efforts you have gone to for her birthday...but, nothing is too good for Mums.....

I'm doing family research and have found that it is all in the genes....you have a great career ahead of you.

It would be lovely if you pop in here from time to time and give us the up to date on your career.....and of course tell us how the Mammy enjoyed the birthday treat.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 pm

I remember being taken to see Ritchie representing Ireland in a junior international against Scotland at Dalymount. It was a thrill to see a local lad, who we watched playing week in week out. conducting himself with a swagger at that level. Th'oul memory's not what it was, but I have a vision of him putting the ball in the back of the net with a tremendous diving header, only to have it disallowed for off-side or something. Incidentally, was he sometimes referred to as "Dickie" Whelan (or Whaylen in local parlance), by some people. Anyway, good luck with your research, and welcome to the site.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Whelo92 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:55 pm

No i thought about this present for a long time now and it is so much more than just something i'd buy in the shop.

We have his caps and jerseys in storage and we have always said how they should be on the wall for everyone to see but actually doing it now will give her a nice surprise.
She's going away for a few weeks so i will be having them box framed and pictures printed and framed and my brother will do the dirty work and have them mounted on the wall for her before she arrives home.

Yes i believe he was known more so as "Dickie" or "Dick" in his later years and i have heard Whaylen being said also!
My mother told me that my Great Grand Father, Richard Snr, used to say that Richie would of been a much better player if he wasn't so nice on the pitch, apparently he was a gentleman even to the opposition :D

Thanks to everyone who has helped me.
I love reading all these fond memories.
Whelo92

Postby keeper » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Hiya Whelo92 !! Yes, I remember going with my Dad to see him playing, there was great interest because he was a local player. That's a lovely idea of yours, any chance you could post a photo of the finished pressie ?
I know Emma Byrne fairly well, but haven't met her in a while. Are you still playing ?
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Harjoe » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Sarah please contact me by email as i may be able to get you a copy of Richie's junior international programme I am sure i have it in my collection .
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Whelo92 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi Keeper, I will definitely post the finished product up here, it wont be going to the framing company until the 24th or so anyway.
I only played as a youth and since "retired" to concentrate on Motorsports which i regret now as i've lost all my fitness and agility but i still follow it and would love to return some day. I'm still only young but with me being away most weekends rallying id have little to no time for another hobby :(

Harjoe, i've emailed you there :)
Whelo92

Postby Whelo92 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:00 am

Just got the bits back from framing. They look great! Putting them on the wall tonight and my mam will be home from America Friday.
She hasnt got a clue about it so she'll have a great surprise, i'll put a picture of them mounted this evening :)
Whelo92

Postby Toss » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:25 am

Great job Sarah, what a fantastic collection to have.

I think you better have the kleenex handy when your Mum see's that ;)
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Brilliant Sarah, well done, it will be a great occasion for all, you've done him proud, great idea and great result, take a bow notworthy notworthy
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Oh Sarah...Thank you so much for giving us the sneak preview. Your mam will be over the moon. Your Grandad will be looking down and smiling. Get a couple of boxes of tissues 'cause if she is anything like me she will need them...and a bucket.

P.s ...looked at your website with the driving..you are some girl...great achievements there too.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Great job Sarah. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Harjoe » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi Sarah great job I am glad you got the photos and I found the programme of his junior International match which I will copy it and send it on
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Micheál » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Altogether now . . .

Whelo-o, Whelo-o, Whelo-o !

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

PreviousNext

Return to MONKSTOWN / MONKSTOWN FARM