T. E. K. Football

The area, its locals past and present, memories, stories etc

T. E. K. Football

Postby Oonaghx » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Harjoe wrote:One of the thing about T E K was that a lot of the lads who played football for the team got jobs as milkmen in the dairy the Turner brothers , Eamon ,Joey ,and Jim , Gooly Gallaher, Eamon ( Mousey)Walsh ,Richie Whelan,
Dublin Dairies had their depot in Mountown beside the Mart Shop
and of course you also had Mick Lawlor in Monkstown who went around many years before with the milk churns on his cart and you went out with your silver milk jug and he would turn on the tap and fill the jug.

My Brother played football for TEK Utd. and also worked for the dairy, as you mentioned the Turner brothers , Eamon ,Joey ,and Jim , Gooly Gallaher, anyone know Pat Brett?
Oonaghx

Postby Harjoe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi and welcome to the site yes I grew up with Pat we are the same age and we started playing football together with St Josephs
and we crossed swords many times on the football fields in fact I have a few stories about Pat one I remember when I was playing for a pre Bary wanderers team called Wicklow County playing against T E K and when a corner came in Pat went to have a shot on goal and missed the ball and cought me right where "Fr Ted Kicked Bishop Brennan "I was sore for a week :D :D :D
We all went to the Parocial Hall together.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Oonaghx » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Thank you for that information, I was just a kid when when my brother played football, but when I read the names of players you mentioned I totally remembered them. Some guy was also called "rubber legs ". Nice to hear from you.
Oonaghx

Postby Harjoe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Rubber Legs was Brendan Carroll who owns the garage on Abbey Road with his brother other you would remember were Brendan Bell ,Jack Nolan, Des O Toole , Richie Whelan, Willie Fogarty, Tommy Noctor, Jimmy Giles , Johny Lester, and Pater Farrell who was their manager for along time during the 1960s
And I also knew Gwen who used to dance in the Top Hat and I knew another member of the Brett clan who worked in the office of MAXOL Oil company on Tara Street his wife was a sister of a friend of mine a John Costello from Kiltemagh Co Mayo..
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Snowhite » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:15 am

Do you have any photo's of that team Harjoe ????
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Harjoe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi Snowie
I will dig out a photo of that T E K team and I am not forgetting the other one I promised you .
I am off to Lanzorette for ten days next week if I find them before that I will post there are some of the T E K team of the 1950s in my photos I know one has Ger Harper , SImon Connor, Billy Mullan in it have a look.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:25 pm

By harjoe,
Here is a T E K over 40s selection at a Charity match in Dundrum late 1980s
Back Row Dave Bacuzzi, Pat Brett, Joe Dodd, Terry Johnston, Eamon Doyle, Tommy Kinsella , R I P , Dave McMorrow, Fran Byrne,
Front Brendan Carroll, Tony Corrigan, Hugh Samson, Jimmy Conway, Brendan Bell
Terry Johnston and myself sat beside each other in Eblana while
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Oonaghx » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 pm

I love it, you know, my Dad used to get Pats boots cleaned & polished for his match on Sundays. My Father passed away when I was 7 yrs old. But, thats one memory I will always treasure.
Oonaghx

Postby grammer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:39 pm

great one Harjoe --
enjoy the holiday-we'll mind the place till you get back :party: :party:
grammer

Postby Rubber » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Remember the over 40's games well. Used to go to them all with my dad who played in them (Brendan Rubber Carroll). Brings back great memories.
Rubber

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Welcome to the site Rubber. Boing! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:56 pm

With regards to Oonaghs reply regards the 'milk scene' on Oct ober 27th 2009..I only picked up on it..In addition there was the lesser mentioned
"Lucan Dairies depot ALMNOST NEXT DOOR to Dublin Dairies somewhere in the vicinity of Mc Cormacks Embibing eMPORIUM, AS IT WAS SO NAMED IN 1988...I brought a good friend of mine to Dun L, he was a London Firefighter 'Blue Watch' Paddington and his first trip. We were staying in Monkstown Farm and on this day he decided to walk to Dun Laoghaire ...on his return he mentioned that he passed a 'nice undertakers' and I was at a loss...later that day we went for a jar, where else than Mc's... he fell over laughing..

As an addage to the 'MILK' scene, I worked with my 'uncle Liam Roberts' then the only MERVILLE MILK agent south of Dublin apart from Matt Thompson in Bray....I was with Liam fom age nine to sixteen every holidays and weekends and loved it..His Mam owned ROBERTS SHOP next to Tighes shop in Monkstown village...One other milkie deserves a mention, ARTHUR EBBS from the FARM AND DELIVERED ON HIS BIKE...using a Steel bulk jug into folks jugs.. lovely simple times indeed.

Arthur coined the trems about Deansgrange ' PEOPLE ARE DYING TO GO TO HEAVEN', 'PEOPLE ARE DYING NOW THAT NEVER DIED BEFORE' ETC
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:29 pm

Welcome to the site Rubber we had great fun at those games and some great players .
Hope you enjoy the site I hav'nt seen your dad for a while regards to him from me and I see you are not too far away from me in Inch so keep in touch.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Rubber » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Harjoe wrote:Welcome to the site Rubber we had great fun at those games and some great players .
Hope you enjoy the site I hav'nt seen your dad for a while regards to him from me and I see you are not too far away from me in Inch so keep in touch.

Cheers Joe regards to yourself from my dad & myself as well. He was telling me that he was responsible for you's not winning that over 40's match in Dundrum as he told Dave Bacuzzi to take the winning peno and he missed!!! Pat McMorrow said to my dad after why did you get him to take it and he said because he was the most experienced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rubber

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:52 am

Welcome Rubber. I knew your Dad and played against him a couple of times. His brother's name was Bernard wasn't it. Two very good footballers,I also met your Dad on a golf course a couple of year's of ago. Plays out of Old Conna I think. Give him my regards.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Rubber » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Welcome Rubber. I knew your Dad and played against him a couple of times. His brother's name was Bernard wasn't it. Two very good footballers,I also met your Dad on a golf course a couple of year's of ago. Plays out of Old Conna I think. Give him my regards.

Hi Denis, yes Bernard was his brother alright (lives in the UK now). I can only remember back as far as the mid 80's so never got to see Bernard play and only saw my dad play for the second team and over 40's with TEK. He tells me TEK had some good players and managers around the time he played for the first team. Myself and my brother used to go to all the second team and first team games every week with my dad, Dave Denny, Pat Turner (rip) and his Joey in the mid 80's. Great times we used to even go down to Stradbrook on Tuesday nights and Thursdays for training. Who did you play for yourself. My dad still plays in Old Conna. Will pass on your regards thanks.
Rubber

Postby Harjoe » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi Rubber
Bernard was a fair player i his day played with Cork Celtic in the League of Ireland when Tony Corrigan and Fintan Deegan went down to play
Both Brendan and Bernard played on excellant T E K teams when Peter Farrell and Ger Harper were managers they were always one of the top teams in the Leinster Senior League.
As for the penalty in the over 40s match the only reason Pat McMorrow said that to your father was because Pat wanted everything in the gane he wanted throw ins, corners ,free kicks we sometimes had to give him a ball to play all by himself because he would never pass to anybody :D :D :D :D :D :D true ask your dad.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:58 pm

Played schoolboy with St. Joseph's and AUL with Cross Celtic. Played a season or 2 with TEK on their 3rd team. Tommy Kelly (RIP) and Willie Fogarty played on that team and they went on to play for the Senior team,2 excellent players. Brendan Bell, Eamonn Turner, Frank Gallagher(RIP) and Bernard were all very good players on the senior team. Harjoe has all the photos and info on them in his great book on soccer in the Boro.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Harjoe wrote:had to give him a ball to play all by himself because he would never pass to anybody :D :D :D :D :D :D true ask your dad.

Hahahaha wasn't there always one of them that would NEVER pass the Ball! :roll:
I never played for a team as such, just local kickabouts.
I was one of them that played with the oval shaped balls. :mrgreen:
Great to read these stories though. :D

I MIGHT be joining a team of "lads" (All late 40's to mid 50's) who get together in Loughlinstown Leisure Centre on Sunday nights for an hour for a kickabout. Only sick squid.
Most of them have recently quit the fags aswell so that could turn out to be encouraging.

Are you coming Grammer? :D :D :D :D :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:06 pm

All them young fellas would run rings around grammer :D :D :D
jordo

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:43 pm

well excuse me :roll: :roll:
im a very experienced football person :mrgreen:
I have watched 100s nah 1000s of matches since the 60s-
and football runs in the family both sides :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
and anyway someone will be needed to hold the water bottle or the magic sponge :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Magic Sponge-------

one of the unsung inventions of the 20th century "the magic sponge"
ive witnessed its use countless time thru' the years close up and on TV -and it is in fact a miraclous piece of equipment --it should be used more in GPs surgeries and in hospitals --
it cures anything from a broken leg to a busted skull in seconds -players jump back up off rge group and play with more jest and speed than they did before the horrible clash -
has any research been carried out -I -wonder -into the hidden healing powers of the wet sponge--
this should really have a topic all of its own---- :mrgreen: :D
grammer

Re: T. E. K. Football

Postby Rubber » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:41 pm

My Da was telling me the FAI are having something for ex TEK manager Peter Farrell the week of the Macedonia match. God i have found memories of Peter from my childhood. I used to always see him when i was walking home from school. He used to call into the garage on Abbey Road and ask us who scored the quickest goal in a merseyside derby and we would say Peter Farrell and he' laugh saying yes Peter Farrell! Told us another tail that he arrived to Goodison one day and asked the gateman were's everyone who told him the gates are locked they are all inside!!!! He was a really nice man. My Da has so many stories of him from the TEK days. He was said he was at his grave recently and there was an Everton flag on it. Afaik there was a road named after him in Liverpool.... Farrell's Drive or Close.
Rubber

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Welcome to the Site Rubber. Sorry I hadn't seen any of your previous posts. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Harjoe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Rubber
Yes on March 23 at the F A I Offices in Abbotstown we are unveiling a Commemorative Booth to Peter Farrell who played 28 times for Ireland between 1946 and 1957 and was captain of Everton for over ten years and yes there is a road in Liverpool named after him at the time of a new estate being built in the early fifties the Liverpool Council named a road after both the Everton and Liverpool captains at that time Peter Farrell and Billy Liddel , so there is a Liddell Way and a Farrell Close in Littherland Liverpool.

The F A I have little alcoves in their offices in Abbotstown where they commemorate Irish Internationals like Johnny Giles, Liam Whelan , Ronnie Nolan, Liam Touhy, Noel Cantwell, Con Martin, Dave Walsh, so its only fitting that Peter Farrell should be remembered as he scored one of the goals in Ireland's most famous victory in 1949 when they were the first "foreign " team to beat England on their own soil .

I was privileged to put together photos and memorabilia of Peter who was one of all Dun Laoghaire's local heros for so many years born in Dalkey in 1922 and attended Eblana Avenue school signed in 1939 for Shamrock Rovers and transfered to Everton in 1946 and managed T E K United for a long time during which they had many successes.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Rubber » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi Joe, thanks for that. I am over in Liverpool a lot so i will find that road now and get a photo. Someone told me it was in Birkenhead. My Dad was telling me many stories about Peter and one was when TEK had a quarter final of the Intermediate Cup and Brendan Bell sent word down that he couldn't make it. He said Peter got Dick Wilkie to drive him to the house Brendan was living in up in Dalkey and half an hour later Brendan arrived with them in the back of the car. My Da said the lads laughed at Brendan and said to him we knew you wouldn't be able to say no to him to which he replied your right i couldn't!!!!

There's an article in the Liverpool Echo today about Peter.

• by Nick Hilton, Liverpool Echo
• Mar 15 2011

Peter Farrell
PETER FARRELL kept a promise to himself and to Evertonians that continues to have an impact at Goodison more than half a century after he made it.
The hugely popular Irishman was heartbroken about being captain of the Everton side relegated from the First Division in 1950/51 and pledged to lead them back to the top flight.
He did just that in the 1953/54 campaign, when the Blues finished runners-up behind Leicester City.
Team-mate Dave Hickson recalled Farrell’s determination to put Everton back where they belonged.
“I was in the army when Everton were relegated and joined them as a Division Two team,” Hickson explained.
“Peter Farrell was the captain and there was never a bigger Evertonian than him.
"I think he felt partly responsible for the relegation and he was so happy when we were promoted again.”
Everton have not dropped outside the top flight ever since and the tough but quietly spoken Farrell is among the most fondly remembered of past players.

Farrell said after promotion was achieved: “We have no star man. Our success has been due to all-round work as a team and with such a great bunch of colleagues, my job as captain has been made easy.”
Farrell was born in Dalkey near Dublin in 1922, but his father was a Liverpudlian who crossed the Irish Sea to work and raise a family.
Farrell played his football with Shamrock Rovers during the years of the Second World War and joined Everton in 1946.
He was part of a £10,000 double signing with Shamrock team- mate Tommy Eglington who also became a highly regarded player at Goodison.
Eglington was a forward, Farrell one of the finest wing halves to emerge from Irish football. Both would play more than 400 games for the Blues and move on to Tranmere.
Farrell’s first goal at Goodison was not scored for Everton, however, but for an Irish side that beat England 2-0. Thus Ireland became the first overseas team to beat England on English soil.
Farrell was made captain in the 1948/49 season and two years later Everton slid towards the drop after losing 12 of their opening 18 games. A draw in the final fixture at Sheffield Wednesday would have kept them up but they were beaten 6-0. Wednesday also went down.
Hickson, the centre forward from Ellesmere Port, remembers Everton went back up on the strength of a powerful record at Goodison.
“I think we only lost a couple of games that season and there were some big wins,” said Hickson. “An incredible match with Plymouth which we won 8-4, just three days after we’d beaten Brentford 6-1!”
Farrell made his last appearance for Everton against Bolton in the final game of the 1956/57 season.
The following October he moved across the Mersey in a £2,500 deal to become player-manager of Tranmere Rovers, where he once again teamed up with Eglington.
Farrell was a success at Prenton Park. Many Rovers fans reckon the football played by Farrell’s teams, with its influence drawn from the Everton “School of Science”, was the best ever seen at Prenton Park.
The Wirral public lapped it up. Average home attendances during Farrell’s time as manager rose to just under 12,000 in one season, a club record.
Farrell left Tranmere in 1960 and went on to manage Sligo Rovers and St Patricks Athletic in Ireland and Holyhead Town in North Wales. He later set up an insurance business in the Dublin area.
He died in Dalkey in 1999.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton- ... z1GfJeiwDW
Rubber

Next

Return to MONKSTOWN / MONKSTOWN FARM