Monkstown Farm

The area, its locals past and present, memories, stories etc

Monkstown Farm

Postby Chiropodist » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 pm

I often sit down Strum and reflect on the good times I had growing up in DunLaoghaire. and wish for those times again. I have some music which was popular around that time and play it to myself, and it brings tears to my eyes. The songs and music were all going the rounds when I left Ireland. They were songs by Nelson Eddy and Jeanette Mc Donald mainly like Sweethearts, and Wanting you,the Donkey Serenade etc. Sweethearts reminds me of my courtship days with Agnes O Neill from the Farm.We used to be kissing and cuddling at the junction of Oliver Plunket Road and St.Patricks Cresent until 2 or 3 in the morning !
Chiropodist

Postby grammer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:39 am

hey Chiro -you must have been some guy ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

whats the word my granny used to use ----
a Valentino :D
or a Lothario????????? never found out what that expression really meant
maybe you might have heard it in your home days
grammer

Postby jordo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:18 am

There you go Chiro, enjoy :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJgBT8PM1B8#
jordo

Monkstown farm

Postby Chiropodist » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:33 pm

In those days you had to behave yourself if you wanted to keep a girl friend. None of them would dream of going out with the weirdos we see today, with their track suits, and knickerbocker trousers and of course the skinheads. We would have been regarded as freaks. If a girl was to have a baby outside marriage, it would be the headline in the national papers. !
Chiropodist

Postby enviro500 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:08 pm

CHIRO,
The spot where you sat courting the lovely Agnes on the Corner of Ollie Plunkett/St Patricks, was it at the Statue end or down by the Roundabout.
I suppose neither were there then. I remember the "StATUE" being built, about 1954/5 when I was about six and I remember that it was looked after by CIE bus crews mainly...On the mentioned corner it is now a Jehovahs Witness Hall...then it was a cottage which pigs were kept in the back garden... The Farm has changed a lot since my day and I am only 61 ....
Some of the gang probably remember 'Dinjo Hurely' and his Grocery, Mr Egan the Butcher, Mrs King the Pharmacy, and Freemans who ran the Post Office....to name a few.
Enviro
enviro500

Postby grammer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:17 pm

:D :D :D
hey you brought up a lot of names from the past there enviro -fair play to you
grammer

Postby enviro500 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:57 pm

Grammer,
You beggars start me off and "theearlydaysbrain" kicks in...Oh I could go on.........................and on............................and....

Enviro
enviro500

Postby JENNY WREN » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:35 am

I loved walking from the noggin to the farm with my mam when i was a kid to visit my granny fay in dunedin those were the days my friend as mary hopkins sang. :roll:
always look on the bright side of life.....de dum de dum de dum de dum.
JENNY WREN
Advanced Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:54 am

jordo wrote:There you go Chiro, enjoy :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJgBT8PM1B8#
I really enjoyed that. I think I remember me Father singing that to me Mother when he came home from the pub. I don't remember me Mother singing the Jeannette Mc Donald bit, I think that she use to hit him with the tea towel. :D :D
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Kav » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:49 pm

Denis Cromie wrote: I remember me Father singing that to me Mother when he came home from the pub. I don't remember me Mother singing the Jeannette Mc Donald bit, I think that she use to hit him with the tea towel. :D :D

:D :D :D :D

Jeeze DC. Your Da got off lightly :D When My Da got home from Bakers. It was his dinner. that he got hit with :razz: :razz:
Kav
Advanced Member

Postby enviro500 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:22 am

Jenny, What was your Nan's name. I grew up in Dunedin Terr so probably knew her.
We llived next to 'China' Ingle, Brendan the Boxing manager's brother.. and his wife Betty..great neighbours too..

Enviro
enviro500

Postby jordo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:11 am

Kav wrote:
Denis Cromie wrote: I remember me Father singing that to me Mother when he came home from the pub. I don't remember me Mother singing the Jeannette Mc Donald bit, I think that she use to hit him with the tea towel. :D :D

:D :D :D :D

Jeeze DC. Your Da got off lightly :D When My Da got home from Bakers. It was his dinner. that he got hit with :razz: :razz:

HAHAHA. My poor aul da could't sing a note, he used to depend on a bunch of flowers to make the peace :D :D :D
jordo

Re: Monkstown/Farm

Postby Holly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:19 am

Chiropodist wrote:We used to be kissing and cuddling at the junction of Oliver Plunket Road and St.Patricks Cresent until 2 or 3 in the morning !

Outside my door so :)
Holly

Postby Strum » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:57 am

Haha Holly. That Chiro bloke was a bit of a hit with the ladies it seems! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:04 am

Strum wrote:Haha Holly. That Chiro bloke was a bit of a hit with the ladies it seems! :D

So he says :D
Holly

Postby Strum » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:12 am

I don't doubt him? :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:47 am

A photo from Enviro.

RE: Enviro: "A little Xmas pressie for Flatlad...and indeed all the gang. It is a picture of the Mountwood Flats when quite new in 1963. I think he lived in the fourth block.

In the picture is myself, Paddy Gibney , an old friend and my little 'bro' Eugene,

Strum
Administrator

Postby Monkstowngirl » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:53 am

LOL!! Great pic Enviro!! And Euge ever the dapper lad in the hat!! AND knee socks!!!!

Too cute!

And look how new and clean the Flats looked!!

(Thanks Scrum!)
Monkstowngirl

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks very much Scrum.

Note all the Eddie Totterdell TV AERIALS.. He must have made a Fortune.

Eugene lokks like a 'nice' little Traveller's boy.Me Mam used call him a Tinker !!!
Hope Flatlad enjoys...They are all Gone now of course..
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Monkstowngirl » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Hey Enviro...what do ya mean "they are all gone now"?

Have they torn down the flats or what?
Monkstowngirl

Postby Strum » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:31 pm

Monkstowngirl wrote:Hey Enviro...what do ya mean "they are all gone now"?

Have they torn down the flats or what?

Yep demoslihed a few years ago and a new estate built.
I must go and take a stroll and a few pics. I'll be back. :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:47 pm

MTG,
Sadly those flats were an omen. During build young David Byrne , Nigger's youngest brother was killed while scutting after a McInerney Lowloader Truck.. He fell 'tween the back and the trailer. It was awful as I was scutting with him and I will never fotget the icident, I was about ten then... I still have the odd dream about it. Sometime after one of the men building the flats was killed, I don't the detail. About fours after I was delivering the milk on Christmas Day early with Liam Roberts and a woman came to the door in tears as her baby died during the night..

Perhaps it is not a bad thing they were pulled down..A new conventional housing has since been built, perhaps the local posters can fill you in with detail.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:21 am

MTG,

Next time I am down St Pats Cresc, I will check out the name...Its no longer called Mountwood I'm sure.
I think the flats were called after trees, Larch, Rowan, etc..
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby FLATLAD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:54 am

Thanks a mil for re-posting the pic - thanks for the Chrismas present!!
Unfortunately I can't see the pic on the computer I am on now (filters) but I'll be all over it when I get home tonight -

When I was home in Jan I took a ride down there via the remnants of fitzgerald Park - it was near the end of the day and staring to get dark, there was one block of flats left standing, apparently taken over by birds ! but one or two of the units were being used by the demo people for storage or something - anyway as the ligh faded it became apparent that there were lights on in some of the flats and stairways - it was a surreal moment to see embers of life and images of the past, in that one last standing relic. the new housing and lack of maintenance and caretaking that were apparent left me wondering if the corpo had done anything to improve the area - it is hard to say they have.

What ever became of this place, there is no getting away from the fact that once, in the beginning and for many years, it was a safe, clean and great place to call home.

Thanks so much for this great picture (i've seen it in past post) and if anyone has any more like it - I would be eternally greatful if they would post them.

Merry Christmas ! Two feet of snow on the ground here in Connecticut - no dreaming !!!
Simplicity is the key
FLATLAD
Advanced Member

Postby FLATLAD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:58 am

P.S. Enviro is right - Mountwood was the official name for the flats and each block was named for a tree - "maple house" , Larch house, Rowan house (mine), Poplar, Beech etc
Simplicity is the key
FLATLAD
Advanced Member

Next

Return to MONKSTOWN / MONKSTOWN FARM