Site.

How to use the site and its general functions.

Re: Site.

Postby Toss » Sat May 05, 2018 12:03 am

Welcome back Jenny or should I say ......

:D :D
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Dancer » Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 pm

Where’s everyone gone ? It’s very quiet around here . Did yis all fall out with each other or what ?
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby bugrock » Mon May 07, 2018 11:57 pm

Nah! When you stopped,, Dancer, there was this big empty hole. hellllo
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Holla » Tue May 08, 2018 10:15 am

Dancer wrote:Where’s everyone gone ? It’s very quiet around here . Did yis all fall out with each other or what ?

Hiya Dancer,long time no hear welcome back.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue May 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Sinead wrote:Is there still a history of the building of the line to Greystones in the Station??

Sinéad

It was the last time I looked,must check again.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Dancer » Wed May 09, 2018 11:57 pm

bugrock wrote:Nah! When you stopped,, Dancer, there was this big empty hole. hellllo

Somehow I doubt that Bugs but thanks anyway. Hope you are keeping well ?

Holla wrote:Hiya Dancer,long time no hear welcome back.

Hi Holla , thank you . Hope you are well ?
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Strum » Thu May 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Good to hear from you Dancer. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Fri May 11, 2018 9:41 am

I love that Portal picture of what the baths could have looked like. wuu
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri May 11, 2018 11:53 am

Looks authentic. Spent a lot of my childhood down there,it was a great facility at the time. Pity it was left to go to ruin.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Jemser » Fri May 11, 2018 2:36 pm

For me this painting is somewhat allegorical. The painting shows the baths in it's current state of tumble down disrepair, but the reflection in the pool is the stylised baths in it's full former glory. A wonderful composition the present day decay and the former glory days of the Baths. I love it, very clever.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby gingertom » Fri May 11, 2018 3:20 pm

I think the artist is personifying the spirit of the baths building.Thus, it could be an invocation of the elderly state peering longingly into a held memory reflection as it remembers itself and wishes to be young again?
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 pm

I like the clever portal picture but I have one reservation.

The former glory alluded to in the pool reflection was not just about "good maintenance", in its heyday, it was also filled with people - a feature absent from the painting.

My limited memories of the baths was of a place thronged with people of all ages. I say "limited" because I was of an age that led me to being banned by my mother for fear of catching polio. :|

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Snowhite » Sat May 12, 2018 12:07 am

Depressing Portal Pic, The memoires I have of The Baths are of Fun Carefree Days with not a worry in the world only what I was having for my Tea when I got home. :-)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby bugrock » Sat May 12, 2018 1:57 am

Good painting!
Reminds me of happy days at the baths -- now just a saddened derelict. Shame!! scry scry scry scry
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Snowhite » Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Thank God they wont be derelict for long, they've already started pulling it down and in it's place..............Image Image Image
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Strum » Sat May 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Spot on Gem, I guess that was the painters intention, reflection of the past in the pool, very clever as you said. Unfortunately I can't give the Artist credit because I took a screenshot a while back.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Sat May 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Micheál wrote: The former glory alluded to in the pool reflection was not just about "good maintenance", in its heyday, it was also filled with people - a feature absent from the painting.

I think was the intention, bleak, but there's something warming about the reflection. I get what you mean though, but how you portray people in that scene, a Ghost paddling, a "lifeguard" whacking me over the head for diving off the changing rooms wall again? :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Sat May 12, 2018 10:03 pm

I've sent Harjoe a few messages but no response for a while. If anybody is in contact he should be able to login now with the details I gave him. Hope he just didn't give up.
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Sat May 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi Strum ! I'll pass on that info to him ! Thank you.
keeper

Postby Rocker » Sun May 13, 2018 12:53 am

Micheál wrote:I like the clever portal picture but I have one reservation.

The former glory alluded to in the pool reflection was not just about "good maintenance", in its heyday, it was also filled with people - a feature absent from the painting.

My limited memories of the baths was of a place thronged with people of all ages. I say "limited" because I was of an age that led me to being banned by my mother for fear of catching polio. :|

M.

I'd forgotten about the polio scare!! A friend of ours caught it and it shook us all. Remember the sugar lump. We queued outside the clinic in Blackrock to get it. Like everything else I think there was to be a follow up but we never got it, Gawd, you also have reminded me about the school doctor ....we were all lined up in our underware...not a pretty sight in the Liberty bodice days and the nicks to the knees days...and the doctor gave us the full monty. None of your ole PC or modesty or human rights in those days. I don't even think they informed our parents. :roll:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun May 13, 2018 11:55 am

Rocker wrote: I'd forgotten about the polio scare!! A friend of ours caught it and it shook us all. Remember the sugar lump. We queued outside the clinic in Blackrock to get it. Like everything else I think there was to be a follow up but we never got it, Gawd, you also have reminded me about the school doctor ....we were all lined up in our underware...not a pretty sight in the Liberty bodice days and the nicks to the knees days...and the doctor gave us the full monty. None of your ole PC or modesty or human rights in those days. I don't even think they informed our parents. :roll:

I never heard of that Rocker. Was the Polio shot not one of our first vaccinations?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun May 13, 2018 1:26 pm

The polio vaccination was put into the sugar lump to make it more palatable for children. I think we got it about 1962 and HID remembers queueing up at the health centre on Upper Glenageary Road about the same time. It was the first big campaign to eradicate polio. I remember we also got lined up another time for the BCG vaccine as TB was rampant. For some reason I think they asked for parental consent for this BCG and my mother was sceptical so I never got vaccinated. Our neighbour got a bothed job done and it left a big bubble and scar on her arm!! those were the days...little pioneers that's us :lol: :lol:

another bit of useless info ..my mother always spoke of a scabies epidemic in the 30's and they were sent into Tara Street Baths stripped, painted with a whitewash mixture , dressed and sent home!! none of your ole modesty them days either. Everyone knew what you were walking with!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Sun May 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi Strum ! Re Harjoe, he tried his new password this morning and still no joy, he is getting same message refusing to log him in, he says he's missing slagging Denis :lol: :lol:
keeper

Postby Strum » Tue May 15, 2018 1:51 pm

keeper wrote:Hi Strum ! Re Harjoe, he tried his new password this morning and still no joy, he is getting same message refusing to log him in, he says he's missing slagging Denis :lol: :lol:

I messaged him Keeper. He should be good to go now.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Tue May 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Folks, there's been a glitch in the registration process unbeknown to me until Harjoe couldn't log in, I even locked myself out trying to get his account working. Anyway Robert has changed a few things so Harjoe shouldn't have any problem now. I've messaged him but he's not on FB much so if anybody is in touch please let him know.
Robert has also mentioned about upgrading the site to the newest software. The site will still look the same so I don't know if it's worth upgrading. He's checking a few things at the moment and will get back to me and I'll keep you posted. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to ANY QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE.